my driver problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my driver problem

right, first let me ask this question, and excuse my ignorance, i have only been playing golf for 2 and a bit years.

should it be the same swing for every club, but just a different set up??

thea reason i ask is this, i am pretty solid with my irons and wedges using the same technique throughout but maybe just changing the ball position. i have good balance, rotation, weight transfer and lag. i strike the ball first, get great flight and reasonably good control and distance. example, i carry an 8 iron around 157 yards (in scotland i may add) and quite accurate, i will hit a green from 160 yards 8/10 times approx. my clubs generally go up by 8 - 10 yards, so my 5 iron i carry around 195 yards.

leading to my 3 hybrid and 2 fairway woods. using the exact same swing i still get reasonable effectiveness, maybe not as solid as my irons, but generally happy enough.

on to my driver. i have a stiff shaft which was fitted for me (on a day i was hitting the ball well). if i use the same technique as above my driving is really unpredictable. i can sky it, hook it, slice it, block it, top it. ocassionally i hit it well and carry it around 245 - 250 yards, but there is NO consistency at all.

any ideas??

Re: my driver problem

Originally posted by davieboy1872 View Post
    right, first let me ask this question, and excuse my ignorance, i have only been playing golf for 2 and a bit years.

should it be the same swing for every club, but just a different set up??

thea reason i ask is this, i am pretty solid with my irons and wedges using the same technique throughout but maybe just changing the ball position. i have good balance, rotation, weight transfer and lag. i strike the ball first, get great flight and reasonably good control and distance. example, i carry an 8 iron around 157 yards (in scotland i may add) and quite accurate, i will hit a green from 160 yards 8/10 times approx. my clubs generally go up by 8 - 10 yards, so my 5 iron i carry around 195 yards.

leading to my 3 hybrid and 2 fairway woods. using the exact same swing i still get reasonable effectiveness, maybe not as solid as my irons, but generally happy enough.

on to my driver. i have a stiff shaft which was fitted for me (on a day i was hitting the ball well). if i use the same technique as above my driving is really unpredictable. i can sky it, hook it, slice it, block it, top it. ocassionally i hit it well and carry it around 245 - 250 yards, but there is NO consistency at all.

any ideas??
    I must quote my pro on this.

"Swing is the same for each club. Position of the ball changes - Driver off the front heel through to short irons off the centre of your stance. Hit down on the back of the ball with irons; the divot should be forward of the ball, not behind it. With the driver, tee the ball up so that the top of the driver is lined up with the centre of the ball and try to hit the tee not the ball."

Works for me when I remember to do it. :-)

SLH

Comment

Re: my driver problem

ill give it a go, the only thing i need to change is the trying to hit the tee

Comment

Working...
      X