slicing the ball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slicing the ball

i think i slice the ball because i am opening the club face when i try to put force into the swing with the right shoulder how do i prevent this

Re: slicing the ball

When you slice the ball does it travel left then pull back right or does it bend straight out to the right?

Comment

Normally slicers are for beginners but with some practice and experimentation, you will develop a fade...

Comment

You could be swinging down on the ball and trying to lift it at impact. Try bending over more and "sweep" the ball off the tee. Something that help me, and I had a mean slice, was to put a tee in the ground in line with the target in front of the ball and try to follow through over that tee after contact. This helps if you are coming from the outside to the inside of the swing plane...another habit that creates a slice.

Comment

yea i have a sharp slice and have tried a lot of things to fix it. with any of my drivers or woods, i hit the ball left and then the ball starts to fly right, like the wind was pushing it.

Comment

Just to give you the idea of the approaching the ball on a perhaps better plane. Take a few practice swings with driver above the ball to mimic the inside out flat baseball swing. Use it on a tee up ball and see if ball flight improves some.
            Good luck..

Comment

think i slice the ball because i am opening the club face when i try to put force into the swing with the right shoulder how do i prevent this
              You kind of answered your own question, if your pulling the club down with the shoulders i can visualise you getting to the top of the backswing and pulling/forcing the clubface "over the top" outside the target line, hitting across the ball at impact. The clubface needs to approach the ball at impact from slightly inside the target line.

Next time your at the range (not on the course) try hitting draw shots with your driver and get a sense of how that feels, experiment hitting the ball with a deliberate fade and draw, exploration is the foundation to learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Adjani View Post
                exploration is the foundation to learning.
                best quote on the site

get on the range and just turn the clubface left, then re grip. Turn it 45 dgerees left and hit ten shots. Work the clubface back to neutral through a progression (go 20 dgrees the 10 degrees left etc) - your hands will have developed a sense of feel for what a closed clubface feels like. As a knock on effect, your swing will start to become more in to out as you try to get the ball to finish on the target.

sounds so simple but a slicing ball is a result of clubface and swingpath combo. Hit the clubface hard - the swing path will work its way out. Unfortunately if you just try to work on swing path, you may end up hitting blocks - depends what is the origional cause of the slice.

just experiment with hittting as big a hook as you can and find neutral from there

Comment

There are two variables that determine ball flight direction, one is swingpath the other is clubface direction. The overriding influence is clubface direction so ensure you focus on this.
                  Last edited by BrianW; 11-26-2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X