Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • site

    In my opinion, this site has really deteriorated lately. The substance and depth of instructional threads is at an all time low.
    I have basically moved on to other sites but will visit once in awhile.
    Last edited by greghutton; 12-06-2007, 09:38 PM.

  • #2
    Re: site

    I have to agree with you - in relation to useful instructional threads the quality and quantity has definitely deteriorated.

    However it is still a good site for other general golf information and discussion.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: site

      hi takinitdeep
      i agree there has not been a lot of instruction topics in the last few week but i think a lot of that is down to the fact the weather is getting bad and a lot of courses are on winter greens and a lot of people don't play till the weather gets better, i think in feb/march you will see a big change with people wanting to get back playing and again wanting instruction on how to get better.
      cheers
      bill

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: site

        Originally posted by takinitdeep View Post
        In my opinion, the instruction forums have really deteriorated lately. The substance and depth of instructional threads is at an all time low.
        I have basically moved on to other sites but will visit once in awhile.
        Fixed it for ya.

        I have to disagree, even though it's JYO. This site is more than instruction. But I'll agree that the instruction forum is pretty quiet...

        I'm not sure why a lowcapper like yourself is scouring the internet for instruction though - it's hard enough to find a good coach, let alone discern the good from the bad on internet forums.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: site

          i dont agree
          yes it is a little quiet at the moment, thats possibly due to the weather not condusive to playing golf.
          IMHO the atmosphere on the site has been a lot better of late, friendlier for want of a better word.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: site

            Originally posted by slater170 View Post
            i dont agree
            yes it is a little quiet at the moment, thats possibly due to the weather not condusive to playing golf.
            IMHO the atmosphere on the site has been a lot better of late, friendlier for want of a better word.
            It's also worth remembering that as well as being a "golf advice" forum this is also a community.

            At times this means that the online conversation wanders between hard core golf instruction via general golf discussion to the less serious (do Islamist Paddingtons prefer marmalade or marmite I wonder?). So be it.

            One of the worthier UK "Sunday's" ran a piece a while back on the phenomenon of cyber (forum) friends, debating whether it is possible to make friends with people you've never met. Maybe you can, maybe you can't but in my experience one of the things about conversations with friends is that sometimes they are serious, sometimes they are inconsequential.

            I suppose it depends what you want from the forum and when.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: site

              Originally posted by bdbl View Post
              One of the worthier UK "Sunday's" ran a piece a while back on the phenomenon of cyber (forum) friends, debating whether it is possible to make friends with people you've never met. Maybe you can, maybe you can't but in my experience one of the things about conversations with friends is that sometimes they are serious, sometimes they are inconsequential.

              I suppose it depends what you want from the forum and when.
              I'd argue that it's largely possible to make friends - certainly acquaintances - on website forums. My experience is that the meeting part generally strengthens what goes on on the forum - those that attended the GTO Golf Outing probably know what I'm talking about. I attend an annual outing on another board - meeting the faces behind the screen names is fantastic - and you learn a little more about the personality behind the persona.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: site

                Originally posted by LowPost42 View Post
                I'd argue that it's largely possible to make friends - certainly acquaintances - on website forums. My experience is that the meeting part generally strengthens what goes on on the forum - those that attended the GTO Golf Outing probably know what I'm talking about. I attend an annual outing on another board - meeting the faces behind the screen names is fantastic - and you learn a little more about the personality behind the persona.
                very true ben.
                the GTO golf day was great for that and good to see that other forum members are just normal guys!

                (well most of them)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: site

                  hi bdbl
                  i think you are spot on with your comments about this site and i do think you can make friends here as i know i have, i think the fact you can have a chat between talking about instructions on golf helps make it a friendly and relaxing site to be on and one you want to come back to and not only for the great tips and instruction you get.
                  cheers
                  bill

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: site

                    NOTE TO GREG H

                    we need to look at organising another GTO golf day for next year and get a full turnout.
                    looking to brianw,bdbl,bulldog etc joining the fun

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: site

                      Originally posted by slater170 View Post
                      NOTE TO GREG H

                      we need to look at organising another GTO golf day for next year and get a full turnout.
                      looking to brianw,bdbl,bulldog etc joining the fun
                      Huh, don't want to change the subject but I played yesterday and:

                      a) I want to withdraw my end of term progress report

                      b) If you thing I'm exposing that level of golfing incompetance to you guys you must be joking.

                      There again it might have just been an off day at a very wet and windy "office".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: site

                        Originally posted by bdbl View Post
                        Huh, don't want to change the subject but I played yesterday and:

                        a) I want to withdraw my end of term progress report

                        b) If you thing I'm exposing that level of golfing incompetance to you guys you must be joking.

                        There again it might have just been an off day at a very wet and windy "office".
                        cmon robin
                        the outing is at a golf course but thats where the connection ends.
                        the day is about meeting up and having a laugh with (not at) each other

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: site

                          Originally posted by slater170 View Post
                          NOTE TO GREG H

                          we need to look at organising another GTO golf day for next year and get a full turnout.
                          looking to brianw,bdbl,bulldog etc joining the fun
                          Ian, guys, There will definitely be at least one GTO event next year, following the success of the first GTO event this summer at The FOA.

                          Can't wait

                          PS: This is always a quieter time for the forum and the golf industry in general as people have their minds on other things. January people start looking forward to the new golfing year and the build up to the first major.

                          There will be some new editions to GTO in the new year, which will include featured tips and lessons.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: site

                            "Ian, guys, There will definitely be at least one GTO event next year, following the success of the first GTO event this summer at The FOA."

                            whoo-hoo yeah!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: site

                              The site has become moribund. It poses the question, can it be related to the exclusion of the forums most prolific contributor ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X